Monday, October 13, 2008

Waking the Dead


Is there anything more therapeutic than a trip to the beach? The only thing more enjoyable that comes to mind would be having a good book while on that trip to the beach. That's exactly what I had this past week. It was a much needed pause from the humdrum of everyday life that I should probably take once a month at the very least. While I doubt my wallet would agree, my mind and body feel much better on this Monday afternoon.

Sitting in the sand and soaking up the sun, I finished Waking the Dead, a book I had been trying to read but had not been making much progress on because of prior obligations. Finding the time to get away and really get into it, I discovered a book that while not new to bookstore shelves, was a fresh take for me on life. John Eldredge describes life today as an epic journey we're all taking, whether or not we wake up to this reality or not. It also discussed something near and dear to my heart...my heart. He makes the true, but often debated point that the heart is GOOD; not essentially bad as most have come to believe. We have been ransomed and just need to find the way to live life that way.

Noting several of my favorite books and movies, including the CS Lewis' Narnia series and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, he makes some very profound parallels that got me thinking while also capturing my attention. I loved it. Simple as that. I'll probably read it again just to get a better sense of the battle we're all facing; hopefully so that I can put on the full armor properly!

No comments: