Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Some Things Never Get Old

Canceling my cable service was a tough decision. Like a band aid though, I thought it would be best to pull the plug quickly and not suffer longer than necessary. Of course the television is still sitting silent in the living room though, which unfortunately isn't its normal state. Because of this, when people come over it's awkward and the need for noise/distraction/entertainment is painfully obvious. We've reached the point in our lives where I guess each other's company isn't really enough. Maybe just putting on some music would suffice, but right now I'm working on refining that lost art of communication. Face to face, that is.

My solution for now? Movies. I've purchased about 10 in the last week, all classics that most everyone can agree on. I bought them used from a great website that only charges around $5 per title. They just came in yesterday and I'm very excited to sit down and watch You've Got Mail and It's a Wonderful Life until I have them memorized even more than I do at this point. My roommates will be happy to know that I bought their favorites as well. My Brother and Kappel gave me a list of their top movies, and after selecting my favorites among them, we've started a nice little library for ourselves. While the term "classic" might not be able to apply to the Big Lebowski or Goodfellas, they've proven to be crowd pleasers anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that you are trying to recapture the art of conversation in your home. I think more and more of us are realizing that as christians there is very little left on tv that is worth our attention. Maybe if we took out this particular contraption we would actually learn what is going on in the lives of those we live with, and to read a book for the enjoyment of it. Hmmm now there's a thought.