Monday, October 20, 2008

Conversations in Hair Nets and Aprons

Saturday a group of girls all decided to go and volunteer at the Nashville Rescue Mission, serving meals to anyone who wanted one. After looking at the selection they would be getting that day, we almost felt like sitting down and having a feast ourselves! The quality of the food donated there is unbelievable. Sandwiches from Bread and Co., desserts from Panera and other local bakeries, hot foods from various local restaurants - it all looked delicious!

After washing up and getting ready to start work, we realized the Mission was actually overstaffed that day, meaning we weren't the ones serving the food. We would be the group that bussed all the tables. This put us in the public eye and allowed us the time to get to know a few of the gentlemen dining there that day. I'm sure we made quite a picture in our hair nets, huge plastic aprons and gloves. Picture little lunch room ladies from your high school days - that was us.

The staff mentioned that we could mix and mingle, so we all took the opportunity to greet people as we cleaned up around them. They were more than eager to talk, and we soon found ourselves in meaningful, and sometimes heated, topics of conversation. Many of the men were eager to talk religion with us, and a few of them were ready to debate about the subject also. One thing I learned was that I have a long way to go; a lot to learn. Leaving there that day and heading to a restaurant with everyone, I rubbed my temples and knew a migraine was on the way.

I thought of John 14:26 - that the Holy Spirit will bring to your remembrance what Christ has told you through his Word. But I knew that if I didn't put enough in my head, the Spirit wouldn't have much to work with and help me remember! Now I know just how important having a solid knowledge of the Word really is - not just for my own spiritual well-being, but for others. If I have nothing to tell them, a great opportunity to impact someone may be lost.

No comments: