Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Solving the World's Problems Over Sushi

Last night a friend and I decided to go for Japanese after work. Her husband was out of town, I didn't want to head to the mayhem that is my apartment right now - it all added up to a good night to have some sushi. We headed over to Ginza in the Green Hills area of Nashville. As usual the place was less than crowded. Actually I would say closer to dead than anything, which was perfect since we both had a lot of catching up to do. We launched into a wide variety of topics the moment we sat in our comfy corner booth.

After complaining about my "worst day I've ever had" kind of day, I asked about hers. Out of nowhere and completely unexpected, she said hers was good; that she's reached the point where she's content with life. WOW. Not only did I feel a tad bit jealous, but I also felt ashamed for having gone on about the petty things that made for a lousy job. After digging into the details of her new-found peace, we both discovered that life just isn't meant for us to sweat the small stuff, so to speak.

While I'm not saying you shouldn't care about your job - people shouldn't be lazy and expect things for nothing - but we began seeing how things at work can cause most everyone to carry those resentments and frustrations into the rest of their lives. I know I did that day! Coming into work I had listened to some worship music and walked in genuinely happy and ready to start the day. Leaving that evening though, I felt as though I had strapped a backpack onto my back, crammed full of the entire company's problems - it was heavy and didn't even contain any food for the trip!

She also felt that if we could be content with the place that God put us in the here and now, He would honor that in the future. Today has been spent with lots of prayers and caffeine, and maybe even a little sugar thrown in for good measure!

No comments: