Friday, December 19, 2008

Public Speaking

After my boss sent out an email to the entire company announcing my departure, I received an email from a coworker asking me to come speak one Wednesday for his youth group. Not having done anything like that before in my life, I was nervous to say the least. He said I should just talk about how I came to make my decision of going into missions, and also tell them my testimony. Testimony? That wasn't something I had available at my fingertips to read off to someone. I literally had to start from scratch - getting scriptures that had spoken to me and making an outline that spoke of how God had moved so amazingly.

The big day finally arrived, and everyone kept encouraging me, saying that God would give me the words to speak. After I was called to the front of the large group of 14-18 year-olds, I kept that in my head, praying the entire way up that he would speak through me and I wouldn't have to do any work. Obviously that wasn't the case. However, I didn't do half bad...judging by the fact that I didn't stutter or completely draw a blank.

The great thing was that after all was said and done, I had a few people come up to me with legitimate questions and comments about what I'd had to say. It was encouraging for me! Of course I hope that I was able to reach some of those kids (especially the girls with my talk of not getting in a hurry to marry), but the immediate results were in me. It was wonderful to see the fruits of God using me as a tool to get his Word out there!

No comments: