Monday, December 15, 2008

Epic Tales




This weekend my mom and I had a girl's night and decided to go and see Australia, the new movie directed by Baz Luhrmann. Having heard mixed reviews, I went in not knowing what to expect, but at the same time hoping he could pull off another classic like his former Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge. It turned out to be more than I had hoped for - probably the best movie I've ever seen, no exaggeration. Although labeled as a romance, and therefore probably not having an equal ratio of women to men, it was also a western, an adventure - suspenseful and dramatic.

One thing I learned as I watched was just how different people could be and still cohabitate together. Not only that, but even become a family because of their differences. No one had to change who they were; in fact, they fought to keep their individuality. Lately I've really noticed how hard people try to be someone other than who they are. They latch on to a certain ideal of what they would like to become, and try desperately to fit that mold. Of course there are also many people who press that into others. Television, magazines...just media in general is telling us everything from what color our hair should be to how much we should weigh. I loved the diversity in Australia - I might go and see it again and drag my friends along with me.

No comments: