Tuesday, June 22, 2010

No Interruption, Just a Little Godly Detour

Lunchtime rolls around, and I've got food on the brain. In reality, I've had food on my mind since finishing my last bite of oatmeal for breakfast. Today it just wasn't enough and my stomach was loudly protesting, announcing to all coworkers that I had not been properly feeding it. Therefore, something to nosh on was the focus as I set off for lunch to retrieve something I could eat back at my desk and appease the powers that be; my belly in this case.

I began my journey by heading to Whole Foods, my go-to lunch spot, when suddenly Zoe's Kitchen came to mind (unusual for me, considering I can hardly eat anything on their menu). But I was already on my chosen course and didn't want to deviate. Before driving any further however, I spotted a roadblock at the stop light. It was actually construction work going on, and the road to take me to that organic mecca that is Whole Foods was closed. Taking it as a sign, I instead heading towards Zoe's.

Of course being me, I couldn't just walk into Zoe's and order something. I first had to park at Publix a few stores down, and go in searching for what edible delights they might be able to offer. If you've experienced my kooks around a mealtime, you'll have witnessed that in fact I honestly cannot just pick a dining venue and be done with it...I must seek out all my options first! Not surprisingly, there was nothing to be had at Publix, so I finally made my way into the overly crowded Brentwood location of Zoe's Kitchen to pick up something to go.

Unfortunately, they did not just sell sandwiches by themselves, so I was obliged to choose a bag of chips to accompany it. I walked out, food in hand, and headed back to the desk I had been perched at for hours already that day.

Fast forward to quitting time (finally!). Driving home, the traffic was more than averagely horrendous, and I was forced past my normal exit and had to go about 10 minutes out of the way. Getting off the interstate and approaching the stop light, I waited, along with many other tired commuters, for the light to change. That's when I noticed the bearded gentleman standing beside my car with a sign announcing he was a former Vet and in need of assistance.

I suddenly knew what all the detours of the day had been for! That unwanted bag of chips served it's purpose as I rolled down my window and gave the man some chips, a dollar, and a big smile. Thanks Lord, for little reminders that everything has a plan and purpose. Even those mundane tasks such as finding a place to grab a bite for lunch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those litte "God Nods" they are sent from the creator of all!

Jackie

Amanda Stahnke said...

Wow is all I can say...and perhaps Amen. We would all do the world so much good if only we would act on these nonsensical thoughts.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

I love how you allow yourself to be used by God!